Best Formula for Gassy Newborn: Breastfeeding your baby is the healthiest way to feed them as they grow up, but it doesn’t work for all parents out there.
Our best pick for the best formula for gassy newborn is the PurAmino Hypoallergenic Infant Formula. This complete nutrition formula is lactose-free and contains critical nutrients for baby's brain and eye health. The best feature of this formula is that iit makes the digestion easier compared to milk-based protein formulas.
Table of Contents
- Why Is My Newborn So Gassy?
- Are Breastfed Babies Prone To Gassiness Too?
- Signs of Gas in Newborn
- How To Get Rid of Gas in a Newborn?
- What To Look For?
- Best Formula For Gassy Newborn
- 1. Earth’s Best Organic Dairy Infant Formula with Iron
- 2. Earth’s Best Organic Sensitivity Infant Formula with Iron
- 3. Similac Pro-Advance Infant Formula
- 4. Gerber Good Start Soothe Non-GMO Powder Infant Formula
- 5. Enfamil NeuroPro Gentlease Infant Formula
- 6. Plum Organics Gentle Infant Formula
- 7. Similac Sensitive Infant Formula
- 8. Happy Baby Organic Stage 1 Sensitive Infant Formula
- 9. Earth’s Best Organic Gentle Infant Formula
- 10. PurAmino Hypoallergenic Infant Formula
- Key References
Newborns or toddlers can experience intestinal gas – and that’s a common problem for them, especially those babies who are fed with formula milk. That’s why some formulas are made to decrease the gas in newborns.
Why Is My Newborn So Gassy?
Gas pain and constipation are truly bothersome for children at any age, especially newborns – and this is because their immature guts are developing.
Gas can be an indication that your baby has a gastrointestinal condition like reflux. However, there are some common causes of gas and constipation in newborns.
Here are the following:
- Incorrect way of feeding.
- Allergic to some compounds present in a formula.
- Immature digestion.
- Excessive crying.
- Lactose overload.
Are Breastfed Babies Prone To Gassiness Too?
Formula-fed babies are more prone to gassiness, and the option they have is to intake formulas that would help them ease the gas and fussiness.
As for breastfed babies, their mothers should not eat gas-inducing food so that it will not affect them.
Signs of Gas in Newborn
There are some ways to know if your little one is experiencing intestinal gas. Here are the following:
- Bloating or swollen abdomen.
- Insomnia or restlessness.
- Excessive fussiness.
- Spitting Up.
How To Get Rid of Gas in a Newborn?
There are several ways to get rid of gas in newborn aside from switching into formula milk made for gassy newborn. Here are the following methods to consider:
- Check the feeding position: Your baby’s head must be higher than his/her stomach.
- Burp your baby: This might be the easiest yet effective way to get rid of gas. You should burp your baby during and after the feeding.
- Change the bottles: Changing into slow-flow nipples will help prevent the gas.
What To Look For?
The best formula for your newborn baby depends on the recommendation of his or her pediatrician as well as what formula your baby accepts. One good thing about every formula is all of them are regulated by the FDA or Food and Drug Administration and meet the primary nutrition required for newborn babies.
Here are the following things to look for when buying the best formula for a gassy newborn:
- Soy Formula: This formula is known for easy digestion and a vegan option that is recommended by pediatricians in such situation.
- Cow’s Milk formula: This formula is based on the milk protein of cows. These milk proteins will help them be broken down by the digestive tract of your little one.
- Hydrolyzed Formula: It is a process of breaking down proteins into smaller formats so that newborns can easily digest it.
- Nutrients & Vitamins: A great formula contains DHA, ARA, prebiotic, iron, and other proteins play a huge role in keeping your baby healthy.
- Formula Style: The formula style can be ready to use, powder form that needs to add water, or liquid concentrate; whichever style you choose it’s up to you.
Best Formula For Gassy Newborn
1. Earth’s Best Organic Dairy Infant Formula with Iron
This organic formula from Earth’s Best is easy to digest to prevent gassiness and fussiness. This organic milk is also complete in nutrients for your baby.
- All products from Earth’s Best including Earth’s Best Organic Dairy Infant Formula are made with non-GMO ingredients, meaning there are no harmful pesticides.
- This infant formula is Earth’s Best closest formula to breastmilk.
- It contains Iron for the development of red blood cells plus.
- It is made with ARA and DHA, which are both type of fatty acids that can be found in breast milk to help support the brain and make their eyes healthy.
- This infant formula also comes with prebiotic for a healthy immune system.
2. Earth’s Best Organic Sensitivity Infant Formula with Iron
The next best formula for newborns with gas is from Earth’s. Earth’s Best Organic Sensitivity Infant Formula is perfect for newborns with sensitive stomachs and those who are experiencing gassiness. It’s easy-to-digest formula help babies to prevent from any intestinal gas.
- All of Earth’s Best Organic products, including Earth’s Best Organic Sensitivity are made with non-GMO ingredients, without potentially harmful pesticide, so you can feel confident when feeding your precious one.
- This infant formula is specially designed for newborn babies with fussiness and gas.
- It includes Iron for the development of red blood cells.
- This organic milk contains fatty acids such as ARA and DHA, to support both the brains and eyes of your baby.
- It contains lutein and prebiotic fiber, which are a huge help for eyes and immunity.
3. Similac Pro-Advance Infant Formula
Similac Pro-Advance Infant Formula helps reduce gassiness, fussiness, and spit-up in newborns.
- This infant formula includes an exclusive blend of nutrients such as Vitamin E, Lutein, and DHA, which are the crucial nutrients for newborn babies.
- `This ready to feed formula is closest to breast milk and includes all the essential nutrients your baby needs throughout his or her first year.
- With this formula, a lot of mothers have reported that there is a reduction of gassiness and fussiness in their newborns after 1 day of feeding.
- Similac Pro-Advance Infant Formula is the first formula brand without any artificial growth hormones.
- It contains immune-nourishing prebiotic, and HMO (Human Milk Oligosaccharide) to help support the immune system and eye health.
4. Gerber Good Start Soothe Non-GMO Powder Infant Formula
The next best formula for gassy newborn is from Gerber. Gerber Good Start Sooth Non-GMO Infant Formula offers a blend of carbohydrate that comes with 30% lactose to help prevent and ease gas pain.
- This infant formula includes comforting prebiotics called L. Reuteri, and it has been clinically shown to reduce crying.
- This infant formula contains DHA which experts recommend helping your little one’s eyes and brains to develop.
- Gerber Good Start has probiotics, which help to cure diarrhea as well as constipation and colic.
- Among many other formulas for colic, Gerber Good Start Soothe contains 100% whey protein which is easier to digest.
- Gerber Good Start Soothe Infant Formula is specially designed for babies who are experiencing excessive colic, gas, and mild spit-up.
5. Enfamil NeuroPro Gentlease Infant Formula
Enfamil NeuroPro Gentlease Infant Formula is clinically proven to ease gas pain & discomfort, fussiness, and crying in 24 hours.
- This infant formula is ready to use and feed, you don’t need to add water.
- It is the only formula that contains a fat-proteins blend of DHA and MFGH that can be found in breast milk.
- With its protein blend compound, this infant formula is easy to digest.
- Aside from DHA, this ready-to-feed infant formula contains Inositol that helps brain development.
- It is an excellent formula for newborn babies with sensitive stomachs.
6. Plum Organics Gentle Infant Formula
Plum Organics Gentle Infant Formula is specially formulated for newborn babies that are experiencing fussiness and gas.
- This easy to digest formula contains no corn syrup solids which are known for its high content of sugar.
- It features DHA and ARA for the development of your baby’s brain.
- Plum Organics Gentle Infant Formula is the first organic formula with partially hydrolyzed whey protein to use 100% organic lactose as the primary source of carbohydrates.
- It is made after breastmilk and offers complete nutrients throughout your baby’s first year.
- This organic and gentle formula from Plum Organics ìs USDA approved and certified, kosher, non-GMO, and free from gluten.
7. Similac Sensitive Infant Formula
Similac Sensitive Infant Formula with Iron is specially designed for newborn babies that are experiencing gassiness and wanting to get rid of it.
- This trusted, and a well-known brand is clinically proven to be efficient in getting rid of gas pain after feeding overnight.
- Similac Sensitive Infant Formula is a milk-based formula, but it does not contain lactose, making it easy to digest.
- This infant formula contains nucleotides that are known elements for boosting the immunity of your newborn baby.
- This infant formula features OptiGRO, which contains a blend of Lutein, Vitamin E, and DHA that are known as special nutrients found in breast milk.
- With this infant formula, you have to scoop the powder conveniently because of the container’s shape and design.
8. Happy Baby Organic Stage 1 Sensitive Infant Formula
Happy Baby Organic Stage 1 Sensitive Infant Formula is made for babies with sensitive skin, including babies who are experiencing gassiness due to its reduced lactose content.
- This infant formula 4x more prebiotics than the most another organic infant formula – FOS & GOS prebiotics that promote healthy gut bacteria.
- It contains DHA & ARA that help the baby’s development.
- Aside from DHA and ARA, this infant formula is thoughtfully formulated with iron, vitamin D, folic acid, calcium, and choline.
- It is made after the nutrients that can be found in breast milk, ensuring that your baby will get the same benefits with breast milk.
- It doesn’t have corn syrup solids, which are considered as sugar content.
9. Earth’s Best Organic Gentle Infant Formula
Earth’s Best Organic Gentle Infant Formula is made with partially hydrolyzed protein for babies, especially newborns who are experiencing gassiness as well as fussiness.
- All products of Earth’s Best Organic, including Earth’s Best Organic Gentle Infant Formula are made without GMO ingredients so that you will feel confident in feeding your newborn baby.
- It is fortified with iron for the development of red blood cells.
- This organic infant formula contains 2 fatty acids – DHA & ARA, which are known to be found in breast milk to help support eye health and brain.
- It features lutein and prebiotic fiber for the eye and immunity.
- This product contains no corn syrup solids, which is known for having a high content of sugar.
10. PurAmino Hypoallergenic Infant Formula
PurAmino Hypoallergenic Infant Formula not just provides nutrition for babies with gastrointestinal conditions such as gas discomfort but also with severe cow’s milk allergy and multiple food allergies.
- PurAmino contains iron and is hypoallergenic for the dietary management of an infant with allergies.
- It contains DHA & ARA, which are known nutrients that can be found in breast milk in promoting eye and brain development.
- With this infant formula, you can ensure that your baby will receive all the critical and complete nutrients during his or her first year.
- This infant formula is amino acid-based and is lactose-free.
- The body of your baby does not need to work hard so that he or she can digest proteins because this formula is made of free amino acids, which are building blocks of proteins.
Out of all the 10 formulas reviewed above, our best recommendation is the PurAmino Hypoallergenic Infant Formula. It features complete nutrition during the first year of your baby, lactose-free and contains Iron, DHA & ARA, which are very important for the development of your baby's brain and eye health. One of the best things about this hypoallergenic infant formula which are known to be easier to digest compared to milk-based protein formulas.
There are lots of formula for gassy newborns that you can find in the market. However, you need to know that if the specific infant formula brand works with one baby, it doesn’t mean that it will also work for your baby.
You need to try it and see if that will work for your little one. Also, make sure to check if it contains all the nutrients the newborn needs during the first year.
Hopefully, this guide helped you find the best formula for gassy newborn.
- “Pregnancy Birth and Baby”. Accessed August 30, 2019. Link.
- “Infant Gas: Treating and Preventing Baby Gas”. Accessed August 30, 2019. Link.
- “AboutKidsHealth”. Accessed August 30, 2019. Link.
- “Galactosemia – Genetics Home Reference – NIH”. Accessed August 30, 2019. Link.