Best Bath Seats For Adults: Every year, about 1.6 million Americans are seen in the emergency room because of fall-related injuries. Maintaining independence and safety while bathing means investing in a bath seat that provides you with comfort and stability.
Our top recommendation for the best bath seats for adults is the Medline Tub Transfer Bench with Microban Antimicrobial Protection. This anti-slip lightweight bath seat features an anodized aluminum frame, reversible backrest, already pre-assembled, and supports up to 350 lbs weight.
Table of Contents
- Best Bath Seats For Adults – A Comparison Table
- What are Bath Seats for Adults?
- What To Look For In Bath Seats?
- Best Bath Seats for Adults
- Key References
Best Bath Seats For Adults – A Comparison Table
A bath seat is an effective safety aide for those individuals who have issues maintaining their balance in the bathtub or shower.
Thanks to the variety of formats, styles, and sizes now seen in bath seats for adults, you can rest assured there is a model that best suits your unique needs.
What are Bath Seats for Adults?
Bath seats for adults are assistive bathing devices that ensure the comfort and safety of adults having difficulty standing in the shower. There are three major types of seats that can help you or your loved ones’ use the bath:
- Bath seats: This sits inside the bathtub and allows an individual to sit on an elevated surface to wash without having to get down to the bottom of the tub.
- Bath boards: This allows an individual to sit over the bath and utilize an over-bath shower. Also, you can use it to lower yourself onto a wash and bath seat.
- Swivel bathers: This is a sit over the bath that swivels round to assist you in getting the legs over the side of the bathtub.
What To Look For In Bath Seats?
A) Weight Capacity
When shopping for the best bath seats for adults, the weight capacity is one of the first things to consider.
- Bath seats are available in different sizes to accommodate different customers’ needs, so the support size is a vital factor to consider.
- The weight capacity of a bath seat ranges from 250 pounds to 400 pounds. For adults with less body mass, a standard bath seat will be enough to provide the needed stability.
- For heavier adults, a bariatric model is the best option.
Bath seats vary in the materials used in their construction.
- Some seats feature aluminum construction, while others are exclusively made of aluminum materials.
- Bath seats made of PVC or plastic piping tend to be cheaper, while aluminum models are a bit pricier.
- When selecting a frame, aesthetic is a factor, but both models can easily support the weight of adults with integrity.
- Some adults prefer a bath seat that gives more room in the back region. A mesh-backed seat is recommended for individuals like these.
- For those that prefer a sturdier and firmer sitting surface, a material that is snugger is your best bet.
While most bath seats are designed to be very compact so it can fit in a standard bathtub, it’s important to note that all showers are not the same size.
- A compact bath seat would be a perfect fit for smaller bathtubs.
- For standard size bathtubs/bathrooms, bariatric or basic size bath seats are more compatible.
- So, it is essential you know the measurements of the shower you wish to use the bath seat, as this will allow you to be sure you are buying a chair that will fit within the dimensions of the shower.
Since baths seats differ in size and construction, their weights differ naturally as well.
- Many bath seats come with locking casters that ensure safe movement to and from the bathroom.
- Others don’t have wheels and depend on leg coverings to prevent the seat from sliding around.
- Beyond that, the weight of the seat itself plays a huge factor when choosing a bath seat.
- For adults who have difficulty lifting a seat in and out of the bathing area, models with wheels are a common alternative.
For some adults, the ability to lean back in their bath seat or receive great back support is essential.
- Especially for seniors receiving help from a caregiver, having an option to lean back will help in the process of bathing.
- Many bath seats are designed with recumbent features, providing rising leg rests and reclining backrests.
- For those who don’t need recumbent backing, there are several bath seats on the market designed with fixed backs.
Best Bath Seats for Adults
Here are the best bath seats on the market for adults today:
1. Health Line Shower Chair Bath Seat
Crafted with advanced machinery, the Health Line Shower Chair Bath Seat is both comfortable and safe.
- It is made of a recyclable HDPE seat and anodized aluminum.
- The bath seat weighs just 8.5 pounds, making it easy to transfer in and out of the shower.
- Additionally, this bath seat is easy to assemble, as it needs no tools.
- The Health Line Shower Chair Bath Seat is equipped with removable backrest, padded armrests, and extra-wide seat.
- The leg of each seat is capped with a non-slip, anti-skid tip for extra security and safety.
- This bath seat for adults has a maximum weight capacity of 300 pounds.
- Tool-free assembly.
- Environmentally friendly.
- Does the job but not quite steady.
2. Medline Tub Transfer Bench
The Medline Tub Transfer Bench is crafted with antimicrobial materials that help protect against the growth of mold, mildew, bacteria, as well as the appearance of stains.
- The bench is perfect for adults who need help to get into the bathtub or those looking for a comfortable way to sit while having their bath.
- This bath seat has a backrest that is height adjustable and reversible. The contoured seat is extra-wide, so it can accommodate adults of different weights.
- The Medline Tub Transfer Bench comes with a sidearm that offers additional comfort and transfer leverage.
- The suction cups on each leg provide support, keeping it from slipping.
- The bench can accommodate adults weighing up to 350 pounds.
- This excellent bath bench is suitable for those with arthritis, bending or stretching limitations, and for those with a knee or hip surgery.
- Stylish dark bronze finish.
- Height adjustable backrest.
- Comfortable sidearm.
- Extra-wide contoured seat.
- It is quite bulky and takes a bit of storage space.
3. Health Line Shower Chair Bath Seat + Extra Assist Grab Bar
If you want to make taking a shower or bathing effortless, then look no further than this bath seat from Health Line.
- It is made of an aluminum frame, which is highly anticorrosive and lightweight.
- It features drainage holes to help reduce slipping as well as other potential hazards.
- Despite its lightweight design, this bath seat has a maximum weight capacity of 350 lbs.
- To keep you safe, this bath seat has high skid resistance.
- Additionally, the grab bar has a great suction force.
- The Health Line Shower Chair Bath Seat with Extra Assist Grab Bar is easy to assemble as you don’t need any tools.
- This bath seat is perfect for the elderly, seniors, adults, disabled, and pregnant women and fits even small bathtubs.
- Removable backrest.
- Durable, sturdy, and secure.
- Lightweight design.
- Easy to use.
- Some users noted that the suction cups don’t always stay on.
4. Medokare Shower Stool
If you are looking for a simple bath seat, the Medokare Shower Stool is a top choice.
- This very inexpensive bath seat features drainage holes and anti-slip feet to prevent slippage.
- Constructed with anodized aluminum, this bath seat is safe and sturdy. You need not worry about the bath seat shifting or breaking suddenly while using it.
- The seat is padded, making it perfect for those who need extra comfort.
- Additionally, the seat comes with a built-in showerhead handle and holder.
- Despite its sturdy design, it is still easy to move and lightweight. Also, it is adjustable, just like many other bath seats on the market.
- The legs are height-adjustable for a proper fit. The Medokare Shower Stool is ready to use and tool-free, making travel and storage convenient and easy.
- It can accommodate adults weighing up to 280 pounds.
- Medokare Shower Stool with Padded Seat is perfect for the elderly, seniors, adults, disabled, pregnant women, or those who have arthritis, recent knee/hip surgery.
- Durable construction.
- Padded seat.
- No tools necessary.
- Not great for those with a small bath.
5. PCP Shower Safety Seat
The PCP Shower Safety Seat makes bathing relaxing, comfortable, and safe.
- The unique hygienic cut-out in this bath seat makes it easier to stay clean than many other seats on the market.
- It features a non-slip leg grip that helps to prevent slippage and falls while in use, even in the slickest shower floors.
- The removable backrest and the seat top are padded, making it even more comfortable.
- Its sturdy yet small design allows it to fit in most bathtubs, making it a great alternative to permanent fixtures or bulkier bath seats.
- Additionally, the height is easy to adjust to your preference.
- This bath seat can support up to 300 lbs.
- This PCP shower safety bath seat is perfect for those who have hemorrhoids and in postnatal recovery; This bath seat allows reduced pressure around the vagina, testicles, anus, and rectum areas with the cut-out feature.
- Portable and lightweight.
- Padded seat and backrest.
- Grips to the floor.
- Tool-free assembly.
- The width of this bath seat can be an issue for some users.
Our top pick for the best bath seats for adults is the Medline Tub Transfer Bench with Microban Antimicrobial Protection.
- It features a backrest, height-adjustable legs, and anodized aluminum frame for additional stability.
- The backrest is reversible for varying tub configurations to allow suction cup feet and armrest to remain in the tub.
- It has a weight capacity of 350 lbs.
When you have seniors at home, you should do everything possible to ensure they are comfortable and safe.
Bath seats allow them to enjoy some independence and peace of mind in the bath.
From our list of the best bath seat, you will find that there is an option for every style and budget. All you have to do is choose the one that best suits your needs.
- “Falls in the Elderly Statistics | NCOA”. Accessed December 29, 2019. Link.
- “The Best Heavy Duty Shower Chairs For Overweight People | For Big & Heavy People”. Accessed December 29, 2019. Link.
- “What Material Should You Use for a Shower Bench? – Love Create Celebrate”. Accessed December 29, 2019. Link.