Diaper covers and wraps are usually made of waterproof materials. They can be used with diapers that are not waterproof on their own such as fitteds, flats, and prefolds. There are several diaper covers on the market to choose from. This article will guide you on how to choose the best cloth diaper covers for newborns and highlight some of the solid choices.
Our top pick for the best diaper covers for newborn babies is the Rumparooz One Size diaper cover. It has 4 adjustable rise settings that allow it to fit your baby through diapering.
Table of Contents
- What to Look For Cloth Diaper Covers for Newborns?
- Top 10 Cloth Diaper Covers For Newborns
- 1. Babygoal Baby Cloth Diaper Covers
- 2. Thirsties Cloth Diaper Cover Hook & Loop
- 3. Rumparooz One Size Diaper Cover
- 4. LilBit Design Diaper Covers
- 5. Hibaby One Size Cloth Diaper Cover
- 6. Happy Endings One Size Cloth Diaper Cover
- 7. Buttons Cloth Diaper Cover Newborn Snap
- 8. Thirsties Duo Wraps Diaper Covers
- 9. Flip Cloth Diaper Cover
- 10. BB2 Baby One Size Cloth Diaper Cover
What to Look For Cloth Diaper Covers for Newborns?
A) Style of the Diaper Cover
Wraps: These covers have snap or Velcro closures on the front, so you don’t have to use pins with the cover. You can simply fold them into thirds if you are using prefolds. You can reuse single layer polyurethane laminate (PUL) wraps by just wiping it clean and hanging it to dry.
Pull-on Covers: You must fasten the diaper onto your baby before you can use a pull-on diaper cover. Prefolds with snaps or fitted diapers work best for these covers. Pull on covers allow for quick diaper changes for a mobile baby but it can cause a messy diaper change if your baby has a runny poopy diaper. Vinyl and waterproof nylon pull-on covers are usually very affordable.
B) Fabrics Used
PUL (Polyurethane Laminate): This is a popular option where synthetic fabric coating is usually applied to polyester knits. Sometimes, it is applied to rayons and knit cotton. They are durable, waterproof, and easy to clean but they are less breathable than wool or fleece.
Waterproofed Nylon: This is a very affordable option but it less commonly used in diaper covers these days. It is waterproof, durable, and breathable.
Vinyl: There are a few vinyl diaper covers available today. It is not breathable and less durable than nylon.
Fleece: This is a synthetic fabric that is breathable and lightweight. It is machine washable, durable, and it dries quickly. Although it wicks moisture away from the baby, some people don’t like the fact that it also wicks moisture through to clothing.
Wool: This is an entirely natural option, but it is one of the most expensive. It is breathable and can hold water. Wool diaper covers are a little fussier so lanolizing and special laundering may be necessary.
Top 10 Cloth Diaper Covers For Newborns
1. Babygoal Baby Cloth Diaper Covers
- It has adjustable snaps that allow it to fit snugly.
- It is made of PUL, and the double leg gussets help to prevent leaks.
- It has large flaps both in front and back that can hold prefolds, tri-folded, flats, or inserts.
- The snap under the front flap can help to hold inserts that have snaps on them.
- This is a one-size diaper cover that can last you through diapering.
- It has 2 pockets both of which are lined with PUL, so they are waterproof.
- It can fit babies from 6. 6 to 33 lbs.
2. Thirsties Cloth Diaper Cover Hook & Loop
- The rise has an extra set of snaps so your baby can wear it past the newborn stage.
- The leg gussets help to add additional leak-proof protection.
- The durable and loop help to ensure a secure and perfect fit for your newborn babies.
- It features an umbilical cut out for your baby’s comfort.
- The laminate inside the polyester is easy to wipe clean between uses.
- It can fit babies from 6 to 18 lbs.
3. Rumparooz One Size Diaper Cover
- It has 4 adjustable size settings that can last you through diapering.
- It can fit any type of diapering system that requires a waterproof cover including prefolds, fitted diapers, and flats.
- It is easy to wipe clean and dry between uses.
- These diaper covers are made of waterproof polyester TPU.
- They come in a variety of fashionable prints and fun colors.
- It can fit babies from 6 to 35+ pounds.
4. LilBit Design Diaper Covers
- The inner suede cloth helps to wick moisture away from the baby’s bottom.
- It has 3 layers of super absorbent microfiber inner material that are hypoallergenic, antibacterial and more absorbent.
- It has two layers of the bamboo charcoal outer material, and it dries quickly after washing.
- It can fit babies from 8 to 35 lbs.
5. Hibaby One Size Cloth Diaper Cover
- It can be used multiple times before washing as it is easy to clean.
- It is made from polyurethane laminate.
- The snap-in front helps to hold the insert in place.
- They hold messes really well, and they work well with prefolds.
- The double gusseted leg helps to keep everything in securely.
6. Happy Endings One Size Cloth Diaper Cover
- It has a generic snap that allows you to use most kinds of snap-in inserts.
- It is easy to wipe clean between uses. It can fit babies from 8 to 30 lbs.
- It has a double row of top snaps and an adjustable rise that gives your baby the perfect fit.
- The gentle leg gussets help to prevent leaks.
- It is made of breathable, waterproof polyester that helps to keep your baby skin dry and comfortable.
7. Buttons Cloth Diaper Cover Newborn Snap
- It fits newborn babies quite well, and it washes up nicely.
- It has 2 layers of PUL and a wipe-able interior.
- The double leg gussets ensure a comfortable fit for your baby.
- It is made of quality fabric, and the snaps and stitching are very secure.
- The insider line is easy to wipe clean.
8. Thirsties Duo Wraps Diaper Covers
- The adjustable rise in this product will ensure it lasts you through diapering.
- These covers are the perfect wrap for trim fit diapers or prefolds.
- It is easy to wipe clean between uses.
- It can fit babies from 6 to 18 lbs. They are adjustable both around the rise and waist.
- They have leg gussets which help to contain the mess very well.
9. Flip Cloth Diaper Cover
- It has a form-fitting elastic helps to prevent leaks.
- It has an adjustable snap system that allows it to fit most babies.
- It can fit babies from 8 to 35 lbs.
- It is made of smooth stay-dry suede and 3 absorbent layers of microfiber that helps to wick moisture away from your baby.
- It has a contour flap that helps to hold inserts in place.
10. BB2 Baby One Size Cloth Diaper Cover
- The leg gussets in this product help to contain even the biggest mess from your baby.
- It has a wipe-able interior so you can use it multiple times before washing.
- It can be used with inserts and prefolds.
- It has 3 rows of rising adjustment snaps that allow it to fit your baby snugly.
- The front pocket helps to ensure the diaper insert stays.
- The back and double side gusset allow it to fit all sizes of babies.
- It can fit babies from 8 to 36 lbs.
Combining prefolds or fitted diapers with a diaper cover is a flexible and economic diapering system. Once you get the right size of cloth diaper, choosing a diaper cover is quite straightforward.