Finding the best diaper pail for cloth diapers is a struggle. With disposable diapers, you will just throw it and dispose of the trash bag or liner at the end of the day – and that can’t be applied with cloth diapers.
Of all the cloth diaper pails sold in the market, the Dekor Plus Hands-Free Diaper Pail is the best choice on our list. Aside from providing ample storage for used cloth diapers, it also has a triple odor control and child safety lock systems - plus, it is also hand-free.
Table of Contents
- Best Diaper Pail For Cloth Diapers – A Comparison Table
- How to Properly Maintain Cloth Diapers?
- Types of Diaper Pails for Cloth Diapers
- What to look for in diaper pail for cloth diapers?
- Best Diaper Pail for Cloth Diapers
- Top 3 Best Pail Liners For Cloth Diapers
- Top 2 Best Diaper Deodorizers For Cloth Diaper Pail
- Key References
Best Diaper Pail For Cloth Diapers – A Comparison Table
Using cloth diapers mean that you have a specific day for laundry day, and having a reliable cloth diaper pail is helpful.
How to Properly Maintain Cloth Diapers?
If you are new to cloth diapering, knowing how to maintain cloth diapers will be helpful for you. Here are the simple steps for washing the cloth diapers:
- If the cloth diaper has a poop, use a diaper sprayer to remove it.
- Toss cloth diapers into a dry pail then wash them off regularly or every other day.
- Pre-rinse the cloth diapers with water only without any detergent involved.
- Make sure to use a detergent that is suitable for washing cloth diapers.
- Choose between drying them using a dryer, hang dry, or do both.
Types of Diaper Pails for Cloth Diapers
There are two types of diaper pails available in the market for cloth diapers.
- A) Dry Pail: You would toss in the soiled diaper into the diaper pail, which has a waterproof reusable liner. But before you do that, you will need to clean up the solid feces from the cloth diaper using a diaper sprayer before you place it into the pail. Note that in the end, the soiled diapers in the diaper pail would still be dry but without any poop in them.
- B) Wet Pail: In this model, you will need to clean up the poop from the soiled cloth diapers like the dry pail was explained above. However, you would soak the diapers into a small amount of water and fully wrunged. Then you would place them into the diaper pail. Note that in the end, the cloth diapers would have less stain and little odor because you already semi-cleaned them. However, you would see a small amount of water at the bottom of the pail, which could create a foul smell later unless you have an excellent deodorizer in the diaper pail.
Considering this small issue with wet diaper pail, we recommend dry pail would be the best option for cloth diapers.
What to look for in diaper pail for cloth diapers?
Cloth diaper pails are used to gather all stained and used cloth diapers in one place while reducing the smell. When choosing the best cloth diaper pail in the market, you will encounter that most brands claim that they are the best, but in reality, it still depends on what works for you.
Here are the features to look for in cloth diaper pails:
- Model: Go with the dry pail option over the wet pail option.
- Capacity: Depending upon the laundry frequency, you can choose the diaper pail with optimum capacity. For example, if you are planning to do the laundry every 5 days, then it is best to go with the diaper pail that holds more soiled cloth diapers.
- Odor Control: Some of the models we reviewed below come with a deodorizer with it, while others won’t come with it. You can always purchase the deodorizers separately as needed to put it at the bottom of the pail.
- Pail Liners: Some of the diaper pails come with the liners. However, if it doesn’t come with it, you always purchase them separately but ensure that the liner that you pick up fits the diaper pail model that you’re buying.
- Child-safety Lock: Make sure that the diaper pail that you pick has the child-safety feature, so the babies won’t open the pail by mistake.
- Lightweight Design: Go for the lightweight diaper pail and at the same time sturdy one for quick emptying, lifting it from one room to another frequently and easy washing.
Best Diaper Pail for Cloth Diapers
Here are the 5 best diaper pails for cloth diapers on the market today:
1. Dekor Plus Hand-Free Diaper Pail
Dekor Plus hands-free diaper pail features an effective, triple odor control that keeps the smell in the pail very well, so it is not an issue whether you wash the cloth diapers every two days.
- This cloth diaper pail is hands-free – no bending, no squishing, and no twisting.
- With this diaper pail from Dekor Plus, you can store a lot of used cloth diapers – suitable for two days or more, individually up to 60 diapers.
- Dekor Plus cloth diaper pail is made of closed-cell ABS plastic that is known to last forever since it will not develop rust.
- It features an efficient bag system – you can just cut and tie it off when ready for disposal.
- Dekor Plus hands-free diaper pail boasts a stylish and subtle design that will complement every room color and design.
- It has a child-safety lock feature so that your toddler cannot access it even if he knows how to venture on its own.
2. Busch Systems Odorless Cloth Diaper Pail
This odorless cloth diaper pail from Busch System contains an activated charcoal filter that keeps the stink in and lets the moisture out.
- With its snug fit and lockable lid, used cloth diapers are safe from your baby’s curious hands.
- It comes with a rounded edges design so that you can clean it more comfortable.
- Busch System, odorless cloth diaper pail, features a lightweight design so you can move it from one place to another around your house.
- Though this may look smaller than other diaper pails, you can store a lot of cloth diapers used for more than 2 days.
- Aside from the activated charcoal filters, this cloth diaper pail includes lockable lids to ensure a tight seal.
- Perfect for moms who are not yet sure which method to use – dry or wet, since this diaper pail can accommodate both.
3. Odorless Cloth Diaper Pail by Busch Systems
This odorless cloth diaper pail from Busch System features a carbon filter that lets air in a while keeping the odor from escaping the container.
- Busch Systems odorless cloth diaper pail is an eco-friendly diaper pail that can hold a 7-gallon capacity of cloth diapers.
- It is made of recyclable plastic, so it is safe for your baby and the environment.
- This cloth diaper pail features a wide opening design, making it easy for you to throw cloth diapers and dispose of the entire bag.
- It also features lockable lids to ensure that the odor doesn’t come out from the pail itself when closed.
- Busch Systems odorless cloth diaper pail boasts a lightweight design, making it easy to clean and move from one place to another within your house.
- This cloth diaper pail allows you to store cloth diapers for 1 to 2 days.
4. Safety 1st Easy Saver Diaper Pail
Safety 1st easy saver diaper pail does its job when it comes to storing used cloth without letting the odor out of the pail since it comes with a deodorizer cover to help control the odor.
- This cloth diaper pail from Safety 1st is perfect for moms who are looking for a budget-friendly yet efficient diaper pail for cloth diapers.
- It features a large capacity design that can hold used cloth diapers for days.
- Safety 1st easy saver diaper pail features one-step diaper disposal – no need to twist and turn.
- It is made of 100% premium plastic material that doesn’t develop rust, so you can assure that it is long-lasting.
- It comes in a neutral color and design that can complement any room color.
- This cloth diaper pail features a lightweight design so you can move it to a nursery or kitchen.
- Safety 1st easy saver diaper pail works for storing cloth diapers in dry or wet methods.
5. Munchkin Step Diaper Pail
Munchkin Step diaper pail is the only diaper pail that includes the best odor control for used cloth diapers and sleek design to blend in any room color.
- It features additional odor control protection, the Puck Baking Soda Cartridge, to control unwanted smell adequately.
- This cloth diaper pail comes with a step pedal, so you don’t need to use your hand when storing used cloth diapers in a diaper pail.
- It includes a self-sealing system that twists the refill tight on its own each time you close the lid to eliminate the odor completely.
- This diaper pail for cloth diapers features a childproof locking system to keep out of reach of your toddler.
- Munchkin Step Diaper pail works with both rings & snap and seal & toss refill bags.
- It is made of plastic material to ensure durability, allowing you to use for years in cloth diapering.
Top 3 Best Pail Liners For Cloth Diapers
Having correct pail liners bring several benefits, namely easy to clean up, odor protection, and easier to wash. So we highly recommend them if the diaper pail that you purchase doesn’t come with it. Go with two liners just as a backup in case one of them is in the washer.
1. Teamoy (2 Pack) Reusable Pail Liner for Cloth Diaper
- This pail liner fits majority of diaper pail models. It comes in a pair with plenty of color options to match your room.
- It is made of thick and durable polyurethane laminate (PUL) material. This material locks in the odor.
- The elastic is super snug and stretches well around the pail.
2. ALVABABY 2 Pack Reusable Diaper Pail Liner for Cloth Diaper
- This diaper liner is made of waterproof, reusable, and PUL, which locks in the foul smell.
- It is machine washable, and you can air dry it.
- This cloth diaper liner fits all models of diaper pails.
- It has a larger capacity so you can store more soiled diapers.
3. Wegreeco Reusable Diaper Pail Liner for Cloth Diaper
- This cloth diaper liner fits all major diaper pail models.
- The liner is made of high-quality TPU material, which is waterproof and keeps the bad odor in.
- The sturdy elastic sewn at the top ensures the liners stay around the top of your pail.
- This pail liner comes in a variety of prints and designs to match your different rooms.
- We recommend purchasing two liners so that you can rotate them in the wash.
Top 2 Best Diaper Deodorizers For Cloth Diaper Pail
Let’s face it. Storing the dirty diapers (though the solid poops are removed) in the pail will develop a bad odor. That’s where deodorizers help to neutralize and eliminate the foul smell.
Some of the diaper pails reviewed here come with a deodorizer. Make sure that you replace it after three months’ usage to continue to keep the diaper pail odor-free longer.
1. Ninja Mama Diaper Pail Deodorizers
- These deodorizers stop unpleasant diaper pail smells in their tracks so that your nursery rooms can be free of bad odor.
- The charcoal sachets in these deodorizers are a completely odorless, natural, eco-friendly solution that absorbs smells, so no harsh chemicals or perfumes.
- You can tape this deodorizer to the underside of the lid and let the charcoal do the magic of odor control.
2. Green Piece All-Natural Baby Diaper Pail Deodorizer
- This baby diaper pail deodorizer not just covers but removes the unpleasant smell of diapers.
- It is 100% chemical-free, all-natural charcoal sachets — the activated charcoals are made from coconut shells, which makes this product environment-friendly.
- This deodorizer fits all major diaper pail models.
After reviewing the 5 different cloth diaper pails, we pick Dekor Plus Hands-Free Diaper Pail as the best one. Aside from coming completely assembled and hands-free, it features a triple odor control system, lightweight design, child safety lock feature, and spacious design.
Diaper pails are handy, especially for moms who are using cloth diapering methods for their little ones.
As a part of using cloth diapers, one of the responsibilities of parents is to store the diapers properly – without smelling in your entire house.
When choosing the best diaper pail for cloth diapers, make sure that it has an odor control system, child safety lock feature, spacious, comfortable to use, and hands-free for hygienic purposes.
- “Disposable Diapers Invented the 1950s”. Accessed November 23, 2019. Link.
- “Cloth Diapers: Truth, Facts and Benefits for Infant and Family”. Accessed November 23, 2019. Link.