Mens Diapers For Bowel Incontinence: According to the National Association for Continence (NAFC), about 25 million people in North America experience bladder leakage on a daily basis.
Bowel incontinence can be caused by an aging sphincter muscle which is responsible for the opening and closing mechanism in the rectum where waste passage is regulated.
Table of Contents
- What to Look for When Choosing Men Diapers for Bowel Incontinence?
- Best Mens Diapers for Bowel Incontinence
Also, stroke, arthritis, multiple sclerosis, and Parkinson’s disease can lead to impaired neuromuscular control; men with these medical conditions can have these problems as well (source).
Luckily, there are a lot of quality products on the market that is designed to handle either regular or sudden bowel movements.
These undergarments can help a man with incontinence to maintain the quality of his life. In this guide, we would be looking at what to look for when buying a diaper for bowel incontinence (or fecal incontinence) and some of the best products on the market.
What to Look for When Choosing Men Diapers for Bowel Incontinence?
When shopping for men diapers for incontinence, you may be overwhelmed by the variety of products available on the market. How can you determine the one that is best for you? Here are some of the things that need to be considered when selecting men’s diaper.
An undergarment that is either too small or too large may not be effective in managing fecal incontinence.
- So it is a good idea to measure your hips, waist, and thighs so that it can be matched to the sizing guide of the manufacturer.
- The sizing of these products varies from brand to brand; a large product for one brand can be medium for another.
The severity of an individual’s bowel incontinence should determine the type of undergarment that is chosen.
- You may only need an absorbent incontinence pads if you are experiencing dribbling or a light bladder leakage.
- However, for an adult who constantly loses a large volume of urine especially during the night time, an adult diaper may be ideal.
C) Gender Specific
Buying a unisex diaper may not provide the best protection against incontinence for each gender’s need.
- A gender-specific diaper is designed specially to provide the best protection for the particular gender.
- Choosing a diaper made specifically for men will give you more comfort and a better fit.
Incontinence diapers can be quite expensive, but the price should not be the only determining factor when buying one.
- Although, a cheaper product may be of lower quality and performance level and might need changing so often.
- You should go for the product with the appropriate absorbency level so you wouldn’t have to change them too often.
- If you are worried about the cost of an incontinence diaper, you should consider purchasing online as they provide discreet delivery and you can save money from the discounts and saving plans offered by these suppliers.
E) Washable vs. Disposable Undergarments
The type of undergarment you should go for depends largely on your personal preference and needs.
- Before choosing from these two ask yourself or your caregiver if a disposable or a washable undergarment is the best for you.
- Washable undergarments tend to be more comfortable, and they also feel like regular underwear.
- The drawback is that they are bulky and less absorbent than disposable undergarments.
- If you are experiencing part-time incontinence and you do not need heavy protection washable undergarments might be the best option for you.
- The best way to discover the best one for you is to try out different products.
F) Pull-up Underwear vs. Adult Diapers
Understanding the differences between pull up underwear and adult diapers will go a long way to help you choose the best one for you.
- Adult diapers are ideal for those individuals in the hands of caregivers or with limited mobility.
- They come with regard tenable side tabs, and they can be easily changed while lying or sitting down without the need to completely remove the clothing.
- Adult briefs have a high absorbency, and they are best suited for overnight protection and those with heavy to severe incontinence.
- On the other hand, protective underwear or pull-ups are best for those individuals suffering from moderate to heavy incontinence.
- They can also be pulled down or up like regular underwear. Pull up underwear usually feature an elastic waistband, breathable panels, and anti-leak guards for a close fit, better comfort and maximum protection from leakage.
Best Mens Diapers for Bowel Incontinence
1. Reusable Adult Diapers for Men by Ecoable
- The Ecoable adult cloth diapers are super absorbent, soft, and they stay dry.
- The waterproof outer layer helps to stop leaks making them ideal for men with incontinence.
- It has an adjustable tab waist and elasticized legs that makes it leak proof and comfortable to wear.
- The Ecoable cloth diapers and inserts are machine washable and reusable.
2. Tranquility Premium Overnight Disposable Absorbent Underwear
- The Tranquility premium overnight disposable absorbent underwear holds a lot of urine making it ideal for overnight use.
- The inner layer of this product has a peach mat core that promotes skin health, urine pH neutralization (source), and odor reduction.
- The peach mat core quickly absorbs the moisture and traps it from the skin thereby helping with odor control.
- The pull-up underwear features an inner and outer cuff that helps to prevent leakage.
3. Depend FIT-FLEX Incontinence Underwear for Men
- This incontinence underwear comes in three different sizes – small, medium, and extra large.
- They are comfortable to wear.
- It has a waistband that provides a snug and comfortable fit for all body types.
- It has a fast absorbing material that gives dry and comfortable protection where men need it the most.
- The thin contoured pad in this product locks in the urine and odor by drawing the wetness away from the skin.
- The leg openings have all-around elastic that gives you a close to body fit.
- They are lotion free, latex free, fragrance-free, and they come in natural gray color.
4. Tranquility Slimline Original Adult Disposable Brief
- This disposable brief is designed for men with high levels of urinary incontinence.
- They are soft and comfortable to wear.
- They have only a little padding on the sides of the hip which makes them unnoticeable when worn under the cloth.
- This disposable brief has a high absorbency level.
- The inner core absorbs moisture quickly away from the skin.
- This product helps to promote skin health and odor control.
- It has a wetness indicator that notifies you when it has reached its capacity and needs to be changed.
- It has adjustable tabs on both the waist and leg openings.
- It is also available in a wide variety of sizes.
2. EGOSAN Maxi Incontinence Adult Diapers
- The polymer pad in this incontinence diaper brief is super absorbent.
- It has an innovative system that helps to lock in any unpleasant odors.
- The non-woven hypoallergenic material of this product helps to prevent discomfort and chaffing.
- It has a wetness indicator that notifies you when the diaper needs changing.
- The outer layer is made from fluff pulp and a special soft rustle free material.
- It can fit waist sizes from 27 to 43 inches.
Choosing the best one out of all the variety of products available on the market can be tricky and overwhelming.
All of the mens diapers for bowel incontinence reviewed in this guide provide a high level of protection, and they are easy to change for those with limited mobility.
Do not allow bowel incontinence to hold you down; you can choose from any of the products listed above to gain back your confidence.